percy-l - Re: Teaching Percy . . . to law students

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: Renard Doneskey <doneskey AT swau.edu>
  • To: "Percy-L: Literary and Philosophical Discussion" <percy-l AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Teaching Percy . . . to law students
  • Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 11:26:51 -0500

I'd like to 2nd BH's suggestion of teaching Lancelot for your class. I
believe it's Percy's best novel (by far) and you can tie it in with law in
several ways: the 1st person narrator has comitted murder is in a mental
institution rather than prison (so, you've got the insanity plee there).
Is he really insane? What determines insanity in legal cases? You've also
got Percy's most problematic character in Lancelot Lamar--he's on kind of a
jihad, if you'll excuse the term. He even wants to found his own kind of
holy land. Just a great, troubling book.

RD