percy-l - Re: Teaching Percy . . . to law students

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: James L Piat <piat AT juno.com>
  • To: percy-l AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Cc: percy-l AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Teaching Percy . . . to law students
  • Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 22:47:28 -0500

Dear Thom--

I'm curious --to what extent are courses dealing with the philosophy and
sociology of law as an institution part of the traditional required law
school curriculum?

I'd recommend Percy essays. My fear is that studying the novels, the
very act of it, might encourage a bit of snobbery when what is needed in
all walks of life is humility and recognition of the fact that our
vocational roles are controlled by forces we do not understand. I think
Percy himself has a much better sense of this in his essays than in his
novels. Percy seems to laugh at himself and our common predicament in
his essays. His novels sometimes strike me a preachy --attempts to
enlighten rather than discover. Sort of like the comments I'm making
now, but done in a much more subtle and appealing way of course. Hey,
just one man's opinion.

Apologies if this sounds a bit negative. I don't mean it that way. Like
you I'm a great fan of Percy's work and love to hear what others think of
it.

Almost forgot --I too think Percy is very funny (again, especially in
his essays) and agree all students should have a good chuckle. Plus I
think his general reflexivity comes across well in his essays and this
seems to me especially good preparation for professional careers.
Screw the tests and required papers. Percy and your lofty aims deserve
no less.

Good luck!

Cheers,
Jim Piat