percy-l - Re: Teaching Percy . . . to law students

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: BHolo AT aol.com
  • To: percy-l AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Teaching Percy . . . to law students
  • Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 21:44:15 EDT

As a law student, hearing this makes me want to transfer to SUNY for the remainder of my third year.  Percy in law school?  Creative curriculum at its very best!

Law school is so relentlessly uncreative and pedantic at times and courses that expand the bounds of traditional law curriculum are precious few.  Where I attend school, the course "Law and Literature" fills up with the first 15 students who can access the registration line (and it's not because the class is a "slide"--it's taught by a very intelligent constitutional/ethics scholar who requires each student to write several lengthy papers and direct a meeting of the seminar).  It's impressive that an administration would allow such a foray as yours, however tenuously linked it is to the study of law.

Lancelot is a must, especially in a law school setting (most relevant novel topically).

I hope your students enjoy this breath of fresh air.

BH