pcplantdb - Re: PIW Future

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: PIW Future
  • Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 01:25:24 -0400

Chad Knepp wrote:
Good question Lawrence,

Well, I've pretty much used up my self alloted time this winter and
never got to working on PIW again, in part for more reasons than are
easy to list. I am ready to hand off the project to anyone who feels
ready (and capable) to make it move forward. I've been in some
contact with Lonnie Brown who sounds like he might be interested. If

Hello Chad:

I guess Lonnie is the person Scott referred to you. He should be on this list
and the new pcdb one,
forum for a new pc db project that had its start, again, in the permaculture
list.
I have subbed you to it so you can see what has been discussed so far in the
archives.
Hope this is OK; you can always unsub. You will probably find it interesting.
There are a number
of new people in that list who are not in this one.

no one steps up I will be willing to give it a go again this comming
winter. I will continue to do basic maintenance and fix broken bits
as soon as I am alerted which currently is not more than every two
weeks. I still think that this is a valuable/worthwhile project.

So do I and it would be great if someone could put something online that
would enable
pc people, and farmers around the globe :-), to begin building a pc guild
database/wiki/blog/cms, something to use to
help identify, describe and document pc guilds but go a bit further and reveal relationships between elements within a permaculture system.

:
observe and describe a collection of elements that occupy a common ecological
niche
explore the relationships between these elements
propose that this collection of interdependent elements qualify as a guild
+
by this time you have identified a number of elements and their relationships
to other elements
and entered this data into the plant/animal relationships database while also
identifying
and documenting a new guild
:

The ideal thing would be for all the people in both lists be combined to work
on a common project.
Of course there is the need to complete work committed to in Threshhold grant. Is PIW/Eden/PCPlantDB as you have developed it so far and as it may evolve in the future going to be a relational database only or can it take a different form to include such things as wiki, cms, blog, etc. The general thrust of discussion in the pcdb forum is that a wiki could work very well for a pc db. Rich has created a Mediawiki that has the PFAF database within.

I guess my curiousity leads me to this question, should everyone pool their energy to see your original work through to completion, as you've conceived it or should we look for multiple (PIW/Eden+Mediawiki/CMS/Blog) options or alternatives to PIW for the software used?

Hope its OK to repost this recent input from Bear and Paul d'Aoust; this may
help bring you up to date: