pcplantdb - [pcplantdb] Activity?

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Bear Kaufmann <bear@ursine-design.com>
  • To: pcplantdb <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [pcplantdb] Activity?
  • Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 18:06:56 -0800

Hi all,

Hope you're all doing well. There seems to be a lack of activity occurring on the list. Is everyone preparing for spring or something?

Anyway, to test the power of MySQL, I did some text analysis on the dataset, and I'll posted some of the results.
I created a list of related words that occur in the database.
They are rather interesting with some unusual relationships, not all of which are worth following, but some have value.
I was working on a method to accomplish something similar to Google's "find similar" search, where other pages with commonly occurring words are found.
The find "find similar" method is rather intensive (looking through a 45Mb database of words takes some time) and has some kinks to work out, but I found this result to be pretty cool.

See it here:
http://permaculture.info/test/related_words.php

Cheers,
Bear