pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] translations of PFAF-database?

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Bear Kaufmann <bear@ursine-design.com>
  • To: Ad Vlems <advlems@planet.nl>, pcplantdb <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] translations of PFAF-database?
  • Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2006 11:38:25 -0800

Hello Ad,

Thanks for your interest in the PIW project.
The PFAF/PIW dataset currently provides only English common names that I know of.
But there are other databases that provide this information. The USDA GRIN database provides common names in a number of languages. It looks like they only provide a few Dutch translations, but they do provide a good deal of German and French translations.

Here's a plant listing:
http://www.ars-grin.gov/cgi-bin/npgs/html/taxon.pl?317351

Here's where you can download the database of common names:
http://www.ars-grin.gov/misc/tax/

You would want to provide a citation for GRIN if you use the data.

This would take a little bit of work to integrate into the database, but it would be useful. If you know MySQL, you may be able to do it yourself. I may be able to help, but I'm working on a number of projects right now.
We may want to work on incorporating this into the PIW dataset too.

Cheers,
Bear

Ad Vlems wrote:

Hi members of the PIW team,
I am in the process of integrating the PFAF-database in my dutch website. After this is done, and if the website is successful, I want to have it translated to the most common other european languages, like English, German and French. But to begin with, I need to have translations of the plantnames in dutch at least.
Does anybody know if there is such a translated table?
Thanks in advance,
Ad Vlems
www.permacultuur.net <http://www.permacultuur.net>