pcplantdb - [pcplantdb] Moderation and easy user markup

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: John Schinnerer <john@eco-living.net>
  • To: pcplantdb <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [pcplantdb] Moderation and easy user markup
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 21:16:39 -1000

Aloha,

Agree with you Chad (and others worldwide apparently) on the weaknesses of the WOW-EM (wide open wiki editing model).
Appreciate your explanation of the moderation method you've been working on, which seems to have evolved well from our previous conversations about how to deal with those sorts of issues.
Agree with your assessment - we need to do better/different than wikis on this issue from the start and what you propose sounds good to me so far.
I do not recall in our original project intent any need to enable people with no credentials or credibility whatsoever to put stupid stuff into PIW, or to bog it down in edit wars etc.
So I don't support making that possible in PIW.
Someone can start a wiki for that if they really want to do it.

I've been thinking of adding STX (Structured TeXt from Zope and
others) support to text bodies to allow easy end user formating of
comments and articles. Also STX features would probably be translated
to kfml for true portability.

Suggest using ReStructuredText, an evolution of STX that has addressed some of the issues in the original STX as well as adding some more sophisticated stuff to what can be done with that kind of markup.

For a WYSIWYG browser-based user editing tool option, see the Kupu project, which forked from what was originally a zope-only product called Epoz to become a more or less stand-alone modular and pluginnable/customizable solution:

http://kupu.oscom.org/

cheers,