pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] report

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Chad Knepp <pyg@galatea.org>
  • To: pcplantdb <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] report
  • Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2006 12:22:53 -0600

webmaster@pfaf.org writes:
> Chad Knepp wrote:
> > Well, still not done with the report as it's taking a lot more
> > thinking than I anticipated (as well as two 50+ degree sunny days in a
> > row).
>
> Gripe, here we are in freazing tempatures and your talking about +50!
> I've got to change country.

Give it 1000 years and the UK will be a tropical paradise!

> I think you all will appreciate that I finally articulate my
> > perception of the data model and it's advantages over the Wiki model.
> > Anyway, look for it today.
>
> Yep looking forward. Is it cool if I defend the wiki model!

Actually I think the wiki model is [the most] appropriate for
subjective types of information. Very technical things such as plant
data are fairly objective (subject to local variances but that's
objective as well) and IMO ideal to the data model I've implemented.
It's highly analogous to the way modern science works. Scientists do
research, publish papers, and the collective peer consciousness
*moderates up* papers that best describe reality.

Questions of aesthetics, morals, religion/philosophy, etc. can have
equally strong opposing ideas and peer moderation may be abused to
favor the majority opinion; although in a best case scenario the
clearest articulations of the ideas (even if opposing) will *rise to
the top*.

> All the best
>
> Rich
>
> p.s. have you recovered from your illness?

Yeah, mostly. I had the wonderful fortune to get a hernia that needed
attention closely coupled with my trying to cut my left thumb off
(unsuccessfully whew!). I'm still a little sore and stiff (and very
in debt) but fully functional.

Cheers,
Chad