pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] report

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Sean Maley <semaley@yahoo.com>
  • To: pcplantdb <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] report
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 07:35:36 -0800 (PST)

--- webmaster@pfaf.org wrote:
> OK after some time editing wikipedia I'm a bit more
> familiar with strengths and weaknesses of the
> system. I'll explain a bit more about wikis and the
> MediaWiki implementation, which is rather nice.
<snip>
> In conclusion
> -------------
>
> The wiki model, in particular the MediaWiki
> implementation, covers many of the features we need.
> It allows for extensible pages so new sections could
> easily be added without being limited by the
> underlying data structure. It has a powerful,
> flexible and extensible linking system which nearly
> meets our needs. Its also an out of the box system
> so little work to get it running. Out of interest
> there is a permaculture wiki city
> http://permawiki.wikicities.com but its rather empty
> at the moment.
>
> Rich

I have easily been tapping and gluing these PHP
products out there. I'm kicking myself that I don't
have more spare time to go crazy. The wiki makes a
great undisciplined collection point. After seeing
what it took for adding in the timeline feature to
MediaWiki, clearly there is a need to add an extension
for eden/pfaf. Perhaps a dialect could be developed
for it, like the timeline has:

<timeline>
DateFormat = mm/dd/yyyy
ImageSize = width:800 height:250
PlotArea = left:150 bottom:50 top:50 right:150
Period = from:12/21/2002 till:12/31/2005
TimeAxis = orientation:horizontal format:mm/dd/yyyy
ScaleMajor = gridcolor:black unit:month increment:3
start:01/01/2003
BarData=
bar:NYSCOM text:"NYSCom"
bar:HVE text:"Hudson Valley Ecovillage"
bar:NWNJ text:"Ecovillage NW New Jersey"
bar:GPSC text:"Green Phoenix"

Colors=
id:NYSCOM value:blue legend:NYSCom
id:HVE value:red legend:HVEcovillage
id:NWNJ value:yellow legend:EcovillageNWNJ
id:GPSC value:green legend:Green_Phoenix

PlotData=
bar:NYSCom from:12/21/2002 till:08/03/2004
text:NYSCom color:NYSCOM
bar:HVE from:03/08/2004 till:end
text:HVEcovillage color:HVE
link:http://groups.yahoo.com/group/HVEcovillage
bar:NWNJ from:09/16/2005 till:end
text:EcovillageNWNJ color:NWNJ
link:http://groups.yahoo.com/group/HVEcovillage
bar:GPSC from:08/03/2004 till:end
text:GreenPhoenixFoundation color:GPSC
link:http://groups.yahoo.com/group/GreenPhoenixFoundation
</timeline>

This has the advantage that a back side interface can
control things like preventing fictitious botanical
names and minimizing spelling errors. This also
presents the opportunity to collect factual data
(measures) for analysis. A separate
[[Eden:Master|Sassafras]] could be used as a generic
reference throughout, or something like
[[Eden:Rich_Rootbeer_Event_2006|Sassafras]] to denote
a specific experience with measurable facts given on a
specified page like the markup above for the timeline.

Just some thoughts.

-Sean.