pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] issue tracker, design tool, etc.

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: John Schinnerer <john@eco-living.net>
  • To: Permaculture Plant Database <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] issue tracker, design tool, etc.
  • Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2005 23:42:46 +0000

Aloha,

Should this not go in the tracker? The issues was raised there.

I wasn't visualizing the tracker as a place for conversational threads at this level of complexity.
Y'all can try and use it for that - it will keep adding and adding messages to an issue - but I don't recommend it for conversations like I think this is.

NOTE: issues from playing with that kind of code should NOT be put in the tracker!!

Why not?

Basic testing methodology.

If I find a bug in a specific formal release, I know that the code is not going to change between me finding the bug and the responsible developer verifying, finding in code and fixing it.

That is what makes a bug DB useful in the first place - a known quantity is being worked with/on.

If I find a bug in code that is actively being worked on even as I am testing, and I put it in the tracker, then by the time the responsible developer goes to verify, find in code and fix it, further changes in the code may already have fixed it, or morphed it into something similar yet different, better or worse, etc. etc.

The latter scenario becomes a potentially colossal waste of everyone's time and energy (and clutters the bug DB), finding and chasing ephemeral bugs.

The issue tracker is a tool for US (and others) to use.
If it can serve as a good means for solidifying the design process
and get us away from the rambelling discussions then great.
> If its the right tool for a collective design process I'm not sure.
> But I do think its got some of the necessary features for this.

It is specifically a tool for entering, tracking and resolving bugs, tasks, suggestions and known issues.

I strongly recommend against trying to use it as a discussion forum.
Threaded online forums properly set up would seem to be a much better tool for discussion forums.

In fact, maybe that's what we need for some of the discussions currently on this list - a well-designed topic/subject-based online forum.
IMO would be easier to recognize and follow a particular thread than digging through mailman archives.

Keep the questions coming...

cheers,