pcplantdb - [pcplantdb] Build IDs, dev build, etc.

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: John Schinnerer <john@eco-living.net>
  • To: PCPLANTDB <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [pcplantdb] Build IDs, dev build, etc.
  • Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2005 13:41:00 +0000

Aloha,

I used 0.1.0 as the starting point based on Chad's message a while back where he threw out that build ID for the current PIW.

My assumption has been that the dev code is constantly in flux as the project is worked on, and is only sanity-checked and/or "tested" by the developers (and possibly others - main thing is:
NOTE: issues from playing with that kind of code should NOT be put in the tracker!!

The tracker is ONLY for issues found while using/testing an "official" formal release - that is, code that is frozen and will not be touched while use/testing is taking place.

That would apply to types bug, suggestion and known issue.
Not to task items, obviouly.

If we want to have formal releases on a "development" server *separate* from formal releases on the public server, that's an option, and distinct build IDs can be added to the list as they come into existence.

At the least, everyone needs to be clear on the difference between moving-target "live" development code and formal releases of whatever kind (whether "development" or "public").

I leave it to the developers to create a system of build numbering/ID that will be congruent and consistent...subject to the rest of us finding bugs in it of course... ;-)

cheers,