pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] Need build designation system + other notes on tracker

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Chad Knepp <pyg@galatea.org>
  • To: john@eco-living.net, Permaculture Plant Database <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] Need build designation system + other notes on tracker
  • Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2005 10:15:57 -0600

John Schinnerer writes:
> Aloha...
>
> ...from Maui, where I'm visiting some vacationing relatives at their condo
> on the beach...and woo hoo, they got high-speed here!
>
> > My preference (only vaguely attached) is to use an X.Y.Z scheme
> > (major.minor.build). In my head we are working toward a 1.0.0
> > release, the current live version is 0.1.0, the current dev version is
> > 0.1.5 or something, the next live version will be 0.2.0, and so on
> > until we are done and 1.0.0 becomes the live version.
>
> OK by me. Seems pretty standard for a lot of open source projects.
> Anyone with urgent alternative suggestions please speak up ASAP.
> Otherwise let's go with this.
>
> > I can do tagged releases from now on so that we can clearly reference
> > versions.
>
> Great - please do, let's get in the habit... :-)
>
> > Cvs is already setup on ibiblio. ...
>
> Great.
>
> > The docs could be included in the code repository or in a new and
> > seperate package.
>
> What are pros and cons of these two options?

Packaging issues mostly. Personally I favor keeping everything in one
package because it's easier for me, but this might not make sense with
some documentation although I'm not sure what.

> Re cvs for docs, I'm not clear if we made any kind of group decision on
> how to handle group-work documentation...?
>
> I still firmly favor cross platform docs (e.g. OpenOffice/MSOffice and
> similar) stored in a CVS for common access and don't favor a wiki.

I think the real concern about using cvs on ibiblio is that every
contributor needs an account on ibiblio, needs to be able to use a
Unix type system, and needs to learn a little about cvs itself. None
of these are hard but they add up.