pcplantdb - [pcplantdb] Need build designation system + other notes on tracker

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: John Schinnerer <john@eco-living.net>
  • To: PCPLANTDB <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [pcplantdb] Need build designation system + other notes on tracker
  • Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 22:34:13 +0000

Aloha,

Pecking away some more at roundup...

We need to be able to specify the build for a given bug.
I'm adding a build selection drop-down right now. The list will be manually populated (by me) with new build identifiers as builds are released.

That means we need a system for naming our builds. Maybe for formalizing them first...!
I leave this up to Chad and/or Rich, and anyone else who wants to chime in.
My chime in is...can we *please* get a cvs going somewhere for code?!?
That will help formalize builds/releases...yes?
Then we can use it for project docs as well.

Anyhow...build designation ought to be consistent and easy to understand, and will be a text string in the DB.
I have control over the order of appearance in selection lists so it doesn't need to sort itself in correct order as a string.

Still pondering how to handle platform information.
Maybe just lumped in with the 'message' text (one field for description, steps to repro, actual & expected results....and maybe platform info too?).

Also - in general - there is a huge amount of flexibility in what/how tracker data is displayed. Presentation choices are very cleanly separated from DB content (with so far only one glaring exception that I have dealt with OK afaik...:-o).

I keep thinking of more ways to tweak it...that will depend on what y'all want as users of it.
I am going to finish adding some of what I consider essential properties, and then point you all to it so we can start trial use.
From there it can evolve some more as we start using it.

Layout and content of issue listings, issues, search form and so on are all templated (using TAL/METAL no less...yes, roundup can be installed as a zope product as well as a standalone app... :-) so as preferences emerge I can tweak those as desired independent of DB schema.

And, as mentioned, adding stuff to the schema (as I'm doing now) is pretty straighforward, at least for simple properties, and doesn't cause backward-compatibility issues.
New fields/lists just show up as empty/'no selection' in issues that pre-date their creation.

Probably no news tomorrow, will be in transit to visit relatives vacationing on Maui. Taking my 'office' along though...

cheers,