pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] Eden 0.1.3 release - testing search again

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: Permaculture Plant Database <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] Eden 0.1.3 release - testing search again
  • Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2004 11:00:55 -0800

Chad Knepp wrote:

Well, I can think of a couple of reasons. Elaeagnus has an 'a' in it
that I forget a lot myself. Eden does accommodate 'alternative'

Of course, and I should have known that, having spent 16 years as a landscape
contractor
and planted many elaeagnus: fruitlandi and angustifolia. I know the
fruitlandi is a commercial variety,
probably not a patented cultivar. I am sure it was derived from the wild
version very common around here,
usually called Russian Olive and gets leggy, sometimes viny and bears profuse
amounts of delicious sour/sweet fruit.

spelling but gives better results with accurate input. I also don't
think 'fruitlandi' is in the current dataset. Hmmm... something to
add?

Definitely if it a native variety and not a commercial nursery cultivar. The
American Nurseryman
and American Nurseryman's Association might have info on this in their
website.

Not really sure why those particular plants score so highly. I think
it would be good to have an optional display of what parts a
particular search matched for analyzing query performance. I'm

Good idea.

already missing 'scores' to see if these are really that much higher
than the various Elaeagnaceae I would expect it to match. Maybe
everything is score 1 which is a very low level of certainty.