pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] Eden 0.1.3 release - testing search again

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Chad Knepp <pyg@galatea.org>
  • To: Permaculture Plant Database <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] Eden 0.1.3 release - testing search again
  • Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 23:43:38 -0600

Lawrence F. London, Jr. writes:

> Tried another eleagnus search, plain, with ", with ' - all returned the
> same results
>
> Did search on eleagnus + fruitlandi
> and got:
> http://permaculture.info/cgi-bin/eden?search=eleagnus+%2B+fruitlandi&button=Search+PIW
> Found 239 matches for 'eleagnus fruitlandi'
> Podocarpaceae Prumnopitys andina Plum-fruited Yew
> Podocarpaceae Podocarpus salignus Willowleaf podocarp
> Rutaceae Citrofortunella microcarpa Calamondin orange
> Cactaceae Opuntia ficus-indica Prickly pear
> Vitaceae Vitis berlandieri Spanish grape
> Compositae Anacyclus pyrethrum Mount Atlas daisy
> ... and so forth with no mention of any plant with eleagnus in its name
> until the next page
> which contained:
> Elaeagnaceae Elaeagnus multiflora Goumi
> --- no more for several pages until Elaeagnaceae Elaeagnus multiflora
> Goumi reappears
> --- then no more for a few pages until eleagnus begins poipping up with a
> little more frequence;
> but nothing like the results you get for eleagnus alone.

Well, I can think of a couple of reasons. Elaeagnus has an 'a' in it
that I forget a lot myself. Eden does accommodate 'alternative'
spelling but gives better results with accurate input. I also don't
think 'fruitlandi' is in the current dataset. Hmmm... something to
add?

Not really sure why those particular plants score so highly. I think
it would be good to have an optional display of what parts a
particular search matched for analyzing query performance. I'm
already missing 'scores' to see if these are really that much higher
than the various Elaeagnaceae I would expect it to match. Maybe
everything is score 1 which is a very low level of certainty.