pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] Object oriented model reprise

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Richard Morris <webmaster@pfaf.org>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] Object oriented model reprise
  • Date: Mon, 06 Sep 2004 16:43:11 +0100

Stephanie Gerson wrote:

This may be naive, moot, all of the above, none of the above...but I'll say it anyway.

So, remember how I suggested that when dealing with group dynamics and our creative process, we ought to look to ecological systems for inspiration and mimick them (a la Biomimicry, which Permaculture is one form of)? Fer instance, our decision to go with TouchGraph instead of ThinkMap, back when were were discussing GBI's, is one manifestation of that - in that we chose to use what's already available. (And actually, I refer to this adherence to Permaculture/ecological principles in grant proposals.)

Anyways. At one point in Rich's discussion, he wrote "We now have a whole new problem xml-object mappings or xml-relationalDB mappings. I.E. how we get from our internal representation on the server to the xml (or html)."

Problem is probably too big a word. Programming task might be more appropriate.

Granted, I have no clue what he's talking about, but. I would like to at this point remind you of a branch of Industrial Ecology which deals precisely with information systems - and how to mimick ecology in the development and organization of them.

And this is actually something I discussed with Jim as well - how our database can contribute to this emerging field. Methinks I'll gather some references and send them out, I'd Love to hear what you think.

Love to see some links.

But you're catching my drift... When you run into some tech-related impasse in the construction of hg, ask yourself - how would an ecological system respond? Or, how do ecological systems deal with this problem's ecological counterpart? I know I'm oversimplifying, because I'm not familiar with any of that techinessss ;) but just wanted to plant that seed.

I supose this is applying permaculture to website design!

Plants for a Future: 7000 useful plants
Tel: 01208 872 963 / 0845 458 4719
Email: webmaster@pfaf.org