pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] Object oriented model reprise

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Richard Morris <webmaster@pfaf.org>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] Object oriented model reprise
  • Date: Mon, 06 Sep 2004 16:24:43 +0100

Stephanie Gerson wrote:

Then it seems that the DB ought to provide a long list or dictionary of
keywords and phrases that reflect in some way the key words and terms hard coded in the DB proper, as
in the coding associated with object attributes.

Yes indeed. I think keyword offer a relativly simple
way to organise data. It could also be very powerful.

If our model of plants and their interrelations is as much as possible like our observations of how plants as living systems do whatever they do, IMO it is less abstract and thus more life-giving, life-enhancing.
The model itself might even teach some users more about plant interactions themselves, besides just providing "info about plants."

This is a great observation, John, a real gem. This makes perfect sense.
Use the scientific method and terminology. Get out the dictionaries and encyclopedias.
Maybe links to the Wikipedia might be useful. Anyway with object models designed this way, sans abstractions
and adhering to strict science, it might actualy be useful to annotate words and terms with links to
defintions (from simple to complex) for the benefit of users.

Sounds goo to me.

Plants for a Future: 7000 useful plants
Tel: 01208 872 963 / 0845 458 4719
Email: webmaster@pfaf.org