pcplantdb - [pcplantdb] synthesis[18][8.29.04]

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Stephanie Gerson <sgerson@stanfordalumni.org>
  • To: <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [pcplantdb] synthesis[18][8.29.04]
  • Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 21:07:38 -0700

Perhaps by the time this synthesis comes out, Chad and Rich will have
made a final decision?

Wishful thinking…Chad and Rich are probably sleeping right now – which is

definitely a good thing!

So, synthesis as promised:

-ZOPE/Ibiblio –
No more to say on this issue. It is up to Chad and Rich. However, this
discussion did bring up issues of…

-…GROUP PROCESS –
Chad wrote, “I have been and am willing to give [the platform decision]
quite a bit of energy because I don't see it so much as being about the
actual outcome of the decision we make, but more about how we function as
a group.” Agreed. And we ought to iron out group process issues early
in the game, so we can collaborate most effectively throughout this
process.

So, although the platform issue has been frustrating for everyone, it is
an opportunity to iron out these group issues – and we should take
advantage.

Before commenting further, I would like to thank Chad for being so
honest, mature, and compromising. Reading through the slurry of posts
from this weekend, I kept wondering how I was going to respond…couldn’t
have done it better than you, my friend. You clearly have much
experience with consensus decision-making, and working with people in
general, and I am thankful that you are part of this group.

And although Chad already spoke to this, I would like to re-emphasize his
comments to Lawrence. Listen Lawrence, I don’t mean to point the finger
at you, I promise – but we are working as a group, and must make
compromises. I know you understand this, because you wrote that “we
_all_ share equally in a grand vision for our database. We should,
somehow, be able to work together to reach this common goal.” Please
keep your words in mind in future interactions with the group.

Rich asked if we need to set some ground rules for discussion. I
completely agree with his suggestions:

∑ no personal attacks
∑ wait one day before replying if angry
∑ Keep to "I think"
∑ There is other stuff used in consensual processes which I can't
remember off the top of my head, which might be of use

If anyone has anything to add to this, please do so.

Finally, Schinnerer wrote that “None of us is indispensable.” However, I

recognize that all of us have the potential to contribute immensely to
this project, and would like to consider all of us indispensable at this
point. So let’s treat each other accordingly.

-PROJECT PLAN –
Updated below. And congrats to Howe for finishing three out of his four
tasks! (Apologies if they are no longer applicable…)

-SPEC/DESIGN DOCS –
Thank you for bringing this up, and for your ideas Archer, Schinnerer,
Chad. I agree that creating Phase 1 goals are essential.

I will write up a lil’ doc, including Chad’s comments into Schinnerer’s

working doc, and send it out soon. It will give us concrete goals, and
will help structure our project plan.

Also Archer, you asked about formal design documents. What would these
look like (is there some specific format)? Because I would be willing to
write some, but wanted you to be more explicit about what you mean.

-POST TO PC LISTS –
Lawrence – PLEASE wait on posting to the PC lists. Since, as you
mentioned, there are 462 subscribers to the Permaculture mailing list, we
want to make sure that we announce ourselves properly.

If you could, please wait until the platform issue is decided. Then we
can agree on what the post should say, and send it out. I don’t think we
ought to be in such a hurry.

-MISCELLANEOUS –
‡ I’ll start thinking of nice headers/graphics for permaculture.info…

good night everybody, sleep well
*Stephanie

p.s. Sometimes it takes me so long to write these syntheses, that while
I’m writing them, people post messages that nullify what I’ve written –

or make it no longer relevant. Which might be happening as I write this
now. But do I really want to edit my entire synthesis? Nah, too lazy…
So I post anyway. And sometimes, because of the time difference, my post
ends up appearing *before* the ones that nullified it. Ha!

p.p.s. Here’s another little anecdote that might make you smile. So
I’ve been learning all these new acronyms from you guys, right? (BTW,
what’s RSN?) So my boss sent out a group email recently saying “Seak I
might be late to our meeting.” And thinking Seak was an acronym (hey, it
looked kinda like afaik), I got worried that I didn’t know what meeting
she was referring to. So I replied all, and asked about the meeting.
Then Seak wrote me. Writing that my boss was meeting with him. His NAME
was Seak. Oops.

………
Latest tasks

∑ Everyone
1. relax. breathe. smile. Love hg.
2. Read this project plan
3. feedback regarding Chad’s and Lawrence’s latest proposals regarding
the ZOPE/Ibiblio issue
4. Update me on your status regarding your tasks
5. Send me any ideas you have for potential funders (i.e. Lawrence
recommended the Noble Foundation and Rich sent me a list – these
suggestions are super helpful for me)
6. Respond to the questions below
7. Create a bugzilla account at https://www.arashi.com/bugzilla/, study
the info Schinnerer puts up there regarding testing and bug writing, and
respond to him with feedback
8. please send me questions you have for Ibiblio so I can compile a list
9. Check john’s testing cycle http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech/pcwiki/
index.php/Development%20and%20Testing%20Process%20Diagram

∑ John S.
1. upkeep interim Bugzilla set-up on Arashi, create permanent one when we
are ready
2. look into customization options with John H.
3. teach others how to create and use their user accounts at https://
www.arashi.com/bugzilla/
4. once we are ready, set up more permanent issue tracking system and
whatever data/parameters/customizations are necessary to start using it
on our project
5. prepare and posts FAQs and other documentation on use of issue tracker
and general software test/QA procedures and guidelines – due late the
week of August 30
6. post this info on the shared web workspace (whether wiki or otherwise)
for feedback – please tell us what kind of feedback you would like!
7. organize for user test of first “build” (to start happening weekly in
1-3 weeks?)
8. resolve ZOPE/Ibiblio/Bugzilla issue (whatever you have been asking
Ibiblio about)

∑ Chad and Rich
1. continue discussing task distribution with each other (as you are
doing off the list)
2. create an Ibiblio account, when and if need be
3. ask Ibiblio what services we’d be entitled to if we donated a server
to them
4. Finish demo accounting/budgeting app. in ZODB w/CLI
5. keep on reading and learning about ZOPE
6. continue developing CLI and add more “Zope stuff” for report
generation in the future
7. create a working database (with no real data) with php connection and
simple front end (basically just checking that the different bits can
work together)
8. issue tracker working, cvs working, zope working
9. Get it running somewhere/somehow
10. Rich – start doing whatever needs to be done in order to get the
latest version of PFAF that is under the CC-BY-NC-SA (2 weeks to
complete)

∑ John Howe
1. Continue with back-end Q/A assistance (throughout process)

∑ Scott
1. Can we pay PI to take care of our bookkeeping? (I promise we’ll be
easier to work with…!)
2. Ask PCU about loan for server

∑ Lawrence
1. Create new and improved wiki, or other form of shared work webspace

∑ Stephanie
1. write first draft of email describing project to PC lists, sends to
team for feedback (on hold for now)
2. write up description user interface/experience, send to list
3. re-connect with Paula
4. Accrue necessary funds for Ibiblio’s server, if we decide to pursue
that plan
5. make new list of possible funders, including suggestions from
Lawrence, Rich, and others
6. finalize Phase 1 goals and send to group for feedback

Questions
1. Shared Web Workspace – Would we like to create a shared web workspace
with ZOPE (Chad, would you be willing to do this?), use this listserv,
use a wiki, Schinnerer’s domain, whatever Rich described (if it applies),
or employ some combination of the above? Ultimately, what do we want
this workspace for – and therefore, what do we want it to be able to do?

2. What questions do we have for Ibiblio regarding hosting services and
levels of access? Send them to moi.