pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] Zope, hosting

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: "John Schinnerer" <john@eco-living.net>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] Zope, hosting
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 22:34:40 -1000 (HST)

Aloha,

> I agree that ibiblio is the best long term
> solution for its reliability/longevity as well as for its name. In
> the meantime I think it might make sense to start development on John
> Howe's server while we work things out with ibiblio. I don't think we
> will consume a noticeable amount of bandwidth during development.

Agree completely, except that I know little about ibiblio and why it is
assumed to have reliability, longevity and name.

I have no beef with hosting on ibiblio if they can provide what we want in
the long run. I am grateful if they can provide what we want in the long
run, with or without some funds coming from our project funding to them at
some point.

OTOH I do not support compromising HG design/development/deployment if
they are not able/willing to provide what we want in the long run.
In practical terms:
We will choose a development and hosting platform we want to use to make
the best HG we think we can make.
We will ask them if they can provide that for us somehow or another, in
whatever is a reasonable timeframe for them.
If they say yes, onwards we go with ibiblio...!
If they say no, we look elsewhere rather than settle for some lesser
platform that we do not think will make as good an HG as we could possibly
make.