pcplantdb - [pcplantdb] Zope

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Chad Knepp <pyg@galatea.org>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [pcplantdb] Zope
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 17:15:28 -0500

Lawrence F. London, Jr. writes:
> Zope on ibiblio
> ---------------
>
> I called the ibiblio staff today to inquire whether they would be
> able to offer Zope as a programming environment for HG. The reply
> was: Ibiblio does not run Zope now but they may consider it in the
> future. You could start dialog with them now about the possibility
> of making this happen. As Zope quality was the issue before before
> it is not now (according to JS and JH) but: 1) Zope requires a
> dedicated environment, i.e. a dedicated server and they cannot
> offer us this at this time, neither do they offer colocation
> services for us to run and maintain our own server 2) I asked
> whether we could buy them a server to run Zope on and the response
> was that this also would entail integrating it into their existing
> environment, requiring much staff time for integration, setup and
> maintenance, in other words cost them a significant sum of money
> which they cannot allocate at this time. They would entertain
> discussion about doing this later (us providing a server or they
> providing their own) - send email to them at help@ibiblio.org and
> info@ibiblio.org to start the process. As for offering Bugzilla or
> Sourceforge-like services, I forgot to ask them about that but Rich
> or someone else can email the staff at the above ID's to find out,
> or if you want me to email them about any of this just tell me what
> to ask.

Hmmm... not so good. On the other hand...

John Howe writes:
> No problem. I can also host (temp/permanent/sandbox) if Zope support is an
> issue @ ibiblio, or if they need more proof of concept time for Zope
> production implementation. The user base can be encapsulated to the vhost
> instance of zope, with parent administration. Also, management users can
> be given a space to install custom Zope products as well. It depends on
> the complexity of the ibiblio sight, server resources, acceptable use
> policies, and contracted service level agreements. It also depends on the
> complexity of ibiblio's server architecture in how they want to implement
> Zope.

Exactly what kind of resources do you have John that you could offer
us? I'll put my name out there as well as someone who could
temporarily host zope/cvs/bugzilla. I'm already overquota with the
Eden MySQL db, but the company I use are also my friends and live next
door. Another solution is that we just break down and buy ourselves
our own account somewhere. I bet a $25-30/month account would be all
we needed unless we got popular (Lord, curse me thusly ;-).

Another zope snag that I've been thinking about is related to
Richard. I'm not sure what kind of PHP integration there is with
zope. Zope is really kind of alternative to PHP and using PHP with
zope might be kind of redundant. I actually haven't looked into this,
but John^2 would probably know. Anyway, Richard, consider learning
zope.

This is probably a pop fly, but I'm still open to using the Eden code
base. It covers 1 and 2 of my plan completely (100 hours of work) and
can certainly scale to our needs. Although it has a RDBMS backend it
has a very clean OO design and I wrote it with the expectation that it
would grow into something like HG. Anyway, I hope I'm not confusing
y'all with backtracking and such. I would also be perfectly happy to
use zope.