pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] Zope

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] Zope
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 11:42:16 -0700

Chad Knepp wrote:

Another zope snag that I've been thinking about is related to
Richard. I'm not sure what kind of PHP integration there is with
zope. Zope is really kind of alternative to PHP and using PHP with
zope might be kind of redundant. I actually haven't looked into this,
but John^2 would probably know. Anyway, Richard, consider learning
zope.

Any possibility you could use PHP/MySQL, which runs on ibiblio and is
compatible with
what Richard has used?

This is probably a pop fly, but I'm still open to using the Eden code
base. It covers 1 and 2 of my plan completely (100 hours of work) and
can certainly scale to our needs. Although it has a RDBMS backend it
has a very clean OO design and I wrote it with the expectation that it
would grow into something like HG. Anyway, I hope I'm not confusing
y'all with backtracking and such. I would also be perfectly happy to
use zope.

Can Richard use the Eden code and will it run on ibiblio? Is this a better
choice
than PHP/MySQL?

I think that the project should be done on ibiblio, where HG should have its
permanent home,
on a free server, read: FREE - means $$ can be spent on programming and
acquisition of info resources, other datasets, etc.
Finding a server that runs the software platform you prefer is one thing
(forget Zope until
ibiblio offers it) but finding a FREE host where you will be able to store
and deliver nearly unlimited
amounts of data, photos, etc. (try getting _that_ for free) that are accessed
by the database.
I think doing HG anywhere but on ibiblio is very shortsighted. ibiblio is a known quantity, well-finded, filesystems are properly backed up, The Public's Library, will be there for a long, long time, and is, will forever be, free and non-commercial.
Usres of HG will feel more confident knowing that our project is hosted by a
website with the credibility of ibiblio,
known for its open source, free public collections.

As far as my participation in this project is concerned, I will contribute to HG (time, energy, resources, submission of data, photos, etc to the database) if it is hosted by ibiblio. Not, if it is hosted elsewhere. There is no way that HG can come up with and maintain the financial resources need to buy commercial hosting services that would in any way equal what ibiblio offers for free. HG would have to become a commercial site and I am not interested in contributing to anything like that at all.

Don't forget, space required to host the HG software and the PFAF dataset is one thing but add to that countless submissions of text, photos, video and audio over many years and you will need very much storage space and the bandwidth to deliver it. ibiblio offers this, FREE.

If anyone planning on paying a part in the development of HG envisions it
becoming a commercial venture I would like to know about this.