pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] Issue tracker

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Richard Morris <webmaster@pfaf.org>
  • To: john@eco-living.net, pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] Issue tracker
  • Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 13:47:26 +0100

John Schinnerer wrote:

Aloha,

You need to go into one of the project. Try
https://sourceforge.net/projects/jep/
another project I'm involved with. You should I hope see
a tracker, a bugs database, a cvs repository and some other
useful bits.

OK - didn't realize you were talking about sourceforge...
Took a look at the project above to see what the tracker is like.
I think it might be OK if it were only "we few, we lucky few..." putting stuff
into it.

It might well do us for now. I suspect the core dev
team will be small.

However - I assume we'll be soliciting bug reports, feature requests and so on
from our development community and our user base, which will get bigger and
bigger as we go and will have wildly varying degrees of computer literacy (and
of just plain literacy).

In the above project, the vast majority of our bug reports
come from the user forum. Only a very small number of
bugs are submitted using bug database.

For the pfaf db, I've had a very small number of
bugs/feature requests over the years, perhaps one a month
and most of those are requests for pictures.

So I would definitely want to use something that enforces considerably more
structure, especially on the input end of things.

I have taken a few quick looks at Bugzilla (bugzilla.org).
It appears to use and as much as possible enforce most 'best practices' for
issue tracking tools, based on my thus far cursory examination.
It appears highly configurable to suit our needs and can have multiple
'products' within one installation, which would be nice for separating back
end tracking from various front end projects (eventually :-) and so on.
There are a lot of major open source projects and others using it, including
mozilla, linux kernel, kde, gnome, apache, open office, several major linux
distros, IBM, Ximian, NASA, and others.
It is built with Perl and MySQL so hosting most anywhere (linux of course)
should not be a problem.

So far so good...there are some other options I will look at.

Again, any recommendations for *open source* issue trackers, please send 'em
my way. Only if they're good, though! I have already experienced (and been
forced to use) far more than enough junk issue trackers and bug databases for
this lifetime... :-p

I'd be interested to know problems you've had with these.
I've not much experience with these (apart from looking
at the Mozilla bug db, getting scared and running away fast).

I think the sourceforge would suit our current needs well.

I'm happy to go with bugzilla, as QA guy I guess this is your
shout.

Plants for a Future: 7000 useful plants
Tel: 01208 872 963 / 0845 458 4719
Email: webmaster@pfaf.org