ocba - Re: [ocba] questions

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: "Robert Arnts" <rjarnts AT att.net>
  • To: "'Walter Starks'" <walterstarks AT icloud.com>, "'Orange County Beekeepers Association'" <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] questions
  • Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2017 15:01:57 -0400

A former beekeeper gave me about five hive boxes with mostly drawn frames, which he had stored wrapped in black plastic and tapped with duct tape.  Some of the frames were infested with wax moths, and I froze all of the frames for 48 hours in batches.  Some of the frames had comb that was black and some frames still had honey in them (at least some of which is sugar water honey). Many of the frames have comb that is still a light color.  Here are my questions:

1.       Some of the comb has turned very dark. I assume I should just remove the dark foundation and comb from those frames and clean and recycle the frames? Correct or not?

2.       Some of the honey left in some frames smells fermented. Is it OK to put out the that fermented honey for my bees to forage, assuming that they will not take fermented honey if it is not safe for them? Or does someone know for sure that fermented honey should not be introduced to bees and I should just trash the foundation and comb from those frames?

Thanks for any and all responses! Jeannie Arnts