ocba - [ocba] TWO queens in one hive .... ?

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Peter Smith <psmith AT leaptec.com>
  • To: Orange County Beekeepers Association <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ocba] TWO queens in one hive .... ?
  • Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2017 12:48:28 +0000

I have a very strong hive which is divided by a queen excluder. Above the excluder is an Imirie shim. (spacer with a small front entrance). I use this setup routinely in the summer to allow additional access mid-way up the hive and to prevent brood in the comb to be harvested.

What I have discovered is that there is a very strong brood pattern both above and below the excluder. I did not spot the queen(s) so far, but wanted to ask if anyone had experience of this?

My dilemma is how to prepare this hive for winter.

Peter Smith