ocba - Re: [ocba] Traces of Controversial Herbicide Are Found in Ben & Jerry’s Ice Cream - NYTimes.com

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Pakis Bessias <pakis.bessias AT duke.edu>
  • To: Fred Fesel <fredfesel AT gmail.com>, Ocba <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] Traces of Controversial Herbicide Are Found in Ben & Jerry’s Ice Cream - NYTimes.com
  • Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2017 20:28:33 +0000

Fred,

I would take both these articles with more than a few grains of salt.  I took a look at the first article you shared about honey bees starving due to roundup.  I wasn't able to find any mainstream sources OR anything about the source of this article.  There is NO information as to who is behind http://www.glyphosate.news/ or where it's based or how to contact the author.  Digging a bit more leads to some Mike Adams - the health ranger!  A quick glance at the page about him leaves one a bit suspicious to say the least: http://healthranger.com/Health-Ranger-Biography.html  He is behind http://www.naturalnews.com and probably quite a few other similar websites.

The second article about glyphosate traces in Ben & Jerry's ice cream is a bit more insidious because it used a New York Times reporter to spread.
The following reader comment from Sam Fels, New Haven, CT, aptly tells the story of how it is done:

"Please NYT, please. You're better than this. I don't even care as much about the "glyphosate war" as much as I do about the way these "data" were published in your well-read pages. By this standard, all anyone has to do is:
A) Literally make up any data they want on any "in" topic
B) No peer review, methods of any kind, or controls needed
C) Register a catchy-sounding non-profit or advocacy group name
D) Send "results" to a sympathetic NYT reporter
... and viola! Agenda furthered, fake news spread to epidemic levels.
Aug. 1, 2017 at 10:52 a.m."

I don't use or like Roundup and in my opinion it does negatively affect bees, the water supply and the environment.  However, these articles seem like fake news meant for soliciting web-clicks and advertising dollars.

Pakis
Durham NC