ocba - Re: [ocba] so sad: wax moths

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Randall Austin <ra41717 AT gmail.com>
  • To: Tricia Weiner <tbeckerjewelry AT gmail.com>, ocba AT mailman1.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] so sad: wax moths
  • Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2017 08:50:30 -0400

Tricia,

Yes, freezing for several days kills all stages of the wax moth.

There is no reason to freeze the boxes themselves. If you are concerned about them, store them outside in sunlight. Our goal is not to sterilize the equipment -- it wouldn't remain sterile for very long anyway. Our goal is to get the infestation under control so that the bees can take care of it themselves like they are supposed to.

The bees will clean up and repair comb that is not completely destroyed. Remove webbing, casings etc. but you can rely on the bees to take care of the rest, as long as you have a strong bee population. Drawn comb is like gold so preserve it if you can.

Randall Austin