ocba - [ocba] so sad: wax moths

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Tricia Weiner <tbeckerjewelry AT gmail.com>
  • To: ocba AT mailman1.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [ocba] so sad: wax moths
  • Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2017 12:18:00 -0400

Wax moths have been invading my 1 colony.  So sad.  I have reduced my weak colony down to only 1 box ( I work with all mediums)  due to small population and removal of many frames with wax moth larvae.    In the remaining frames, I did not "see" the damaged honey comb areas.   Should I replace all the frames and box with previously frozen frames/ empty frames to ensure a clean environment ?

Does freezing kill it all?  Do I need to actually cut out the damaged comb and clorox or freeze the boxes?

Please help!  Thank you in advance.

Tricia Weiner