ocba - Re: [ocba] so sad: wax moths

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: John Rintoul <beecd AT icloud.com>
  • To: Tricia Weiner <tbeckerjewelry AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: Orange County Beekeepers Association <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] so sad: wax moths
  • Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2017 09:17:14 -0400

If the population in your remaining medium is strong they can manage the wax moths and clean up any damage. Strength is assessed by looking at bee coverage on each frame. A strong frame is virtually hidden from view by the number of bees wandering over the face of the comb. In a 10 frame box with wax moth problems I would want at least 6 or 7 full frames of bees. They could spare enough bees to patrol the other comb. If you have fewer bees than that you might want to downsize the hive to an 8 frame box or even a 5 frame nuc if necessary. Alternatively, you could combine this colony with a stronger one.

Freezing does kill wax moths in all of its life stages. Bleach is unnecessary.

The addition of empty frames would require this weakened colony to build out comb and stores. Not helpful for a already challenged colony.

This is my view of your options. I hope others who have more experience with wax moths will chime in as well.

John Rintoul
(919) 414-4071
No trees or bees were killed in the distribution of this message, but countless electrons were seriously inconvenienced.