ocba - [ocba] High mite counts and honey flow

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Mark Smith <mpsmith90 AT gmail.com>
  • To: ocba AT mailman1.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [ocba] High mite counts and honey flow
  • Date: Fri, 12 May 2017 13:18:05 -0400

Hello fellow beekeepers,

It seems as though I have a mite problem.

I currently have three hives and one nuc.  I sugar rolled my newest hive from a package and I counted 20 mites per ~300!  Not I what I wanted to see.  I sugar rolled one of two hives that overwintered and it had 11 mites per ~300!  I used OAV last fall/winter and had low mites counts but given the warm winter, the mites decided to explode.

As a second year beekeeper, I am still learning my ways.  I failed to sugar roll my hives in the early spring and now I am in trouble with high mite counts.

Since we are well into the honey flow, what are my options?

Thanks for any help.

Mark