ocba - Re: [ocba] Honey harvest

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Walter Starks <walterstarks AT icloud.com>
  • To: Shadi Cinpinski <shadikaze AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] Honey harvest
  • Date: Wed, 03 May 2017 09:43:39 -0400

I put paint strainer bags into my 5 gallon buckets prior to adding honey. You can buy them at any home improvement store (Lowes, Home Depot, etc). I've also got a colander that I put on top of the bucket. The honey drains out of the extractor, through the colander and once the bucket is full I pull the strainer bag and hang it over the bucket to drain. The colander works well for filtering large bits of wax and such. The strainer bag with catch small bits of wax, dirt, bee parts, etc. You can buy buckets at home improvement stores (make sure they are food grade plastic). A better alternative is to talk to the people at the bakery in your local grocery store. They throw away lots of these buckets that their frosting cones in. You can probably get them for free. All you need to do is drill a hole in them and add a honey gate near the bottom (available at any local bee supply store).

There are many different uncapping tools. Heated knives are popular. A serrated bread knife will also work well. Also various scratchers and rollers. I know one lady that just uses a dinner fork. OCBA will be having an extractor workshop early in June (tentatively scheduled for June 10th) at Cedar Ridge High School. This will give anyone interested an opportunity to play with an assortment of tools. I'll post specifics as soon as I'm sure of them.

______

Walter

You never can tell with bees. ~ Winnie-the-Pooh