ocba - Re: [ocba] Honey harvest

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Marty Hanks <marty AT justbeenc.com>
  • To: Shadi Cinpinski <shadikaze AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] Honey harvest
  • Date: Wed, 3 May 2017 09:29:42 -0400

Good question

Im in love with my 4" roller spike uncapping tool. $20 anywhere. Think of a
4" paint roller but with long thin spikes. It pokes holes in the campings
after a lil back & forth. Spinning expels the honey out. Best part is the
keeper isnt destroying all that valuable wax.

But one tool most new keepers dont think of is another super ir hive body to
put back on hive when you remove your boxes. 2 sm honey supers equal 1 deep.
Thats a lot of bees to get crammed into a smaller space. Almost certainly
causing swarming. So be prepared to keep them happy & something to do.

I like to put a brood box on cause i split all my hives 2 weeks later. Giving
them time to work that empty box.

As for screens i use the coarsest mesh they sell. Keeps out bee parts but it
goes faster & im guaranteed all my local pollen gets in. A premium come
allergy season.

Good luck

Marty

Sent from my iPhone