ocba - Re: [ocba] Should we be worried about the weather?

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Walter Starks <walterstarks AT icloud.com>
  • To: Ans Bilhorn <bilhorna AT bellsouth.net>
  • Cc: "ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org" <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] Should we be worried about the weather?
  • Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2017 13:05:21 -0400

You can keep a package alive for as much as 2 weeks in an emergency. Place them in a dark, warm (60-75F) location and spray them several times a day with a light sugar syrup mixture. You'll lose some bees every day, but the package should survive until the first warm day.

You'll want temps above about 55 or 60F to install packages. Be sure the hives have good ventilation so you don't get any moisture buildup on cold nights. And FEED FEED FEED.

______

Walter

You never can tell with bees. ~ Winnie-the-Pooh