ocba - [ocba] 1st year bee-keeper question

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Shadi Cinpinski <shadikaze AT gmail.com>
  • To: ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [ocba] 1st year bee-keeper question
  • Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2017 15:26:31 -0500

Hello everyone,
I just got into our remaining hive. Some notes before I ask for suggestions:

- Saw plenty of drawn our comb (some capped honey in the top medium super).
-Middle (deep super) is full of eggs, larva in various stages and nectar.
-Good pollen overall.
-few drone cells (nothing alarming)
-no supercedure cells
-Bottom deep super is essentially empty. There is drawn out comb with a few frames with larva, but it's like the bees' ghost town. They are all up in the middle deep super and working on the top medium.

My question is what should I do a super reversal (swap middle with bottom) to help with possible swarming- the idea that the Queen will have more laying space as she works up. I read this can be done, but in 2-3 weeks I will need to reverse them back.

After the wax moths attacking and decimating one of my hives last summer, I am concerned with leaving too much empty space and appreciate this group's input.

Kind regards,
Shadi

--
Shadi Cinpinski,