ocba - Re: [ocba] Re-queen or let the hive die?

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Randall Austin <ra41717 AT gmail.com>
  • To: Mark Smith <mpsmith90 AT gmail.com>, ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] Re-queen or let the hive die?
  • Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2016 11:44:34 -0500

Mark,

The article <here> provides some insights into your dilemma. "Let the colony die" shouldn't be an option -- if you feel it is among the Walking Dead, combine it with the other one, don't let it die out on its own. The latter could result in the loss of all that honey and comb to wax moths and hive beetles.

However from your description you haven't convinced me that the suspect hive is queenless. It obviously was queenright within the past two weeks. No brood at this time of year does not necessarily mean the colony is queenless -- the queen may have just shut down for the season already. If the colony has lots of bees and resources, I would be tempted to just leave it alone... not to die but to live.

So... my advice depends on whether you think the colony is most likely to actually be queenright (odds are, it is) or not. If yes, leave it alone until spring. If no, combine it with the other colony and preserve its resources for reuse later.

Randall