ocba - [ocba] Re-queen or let the hive die?

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Mark Smith <mpsmith90 AT gmail.com>
  • To: ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [ocba] Re-queen or let the hive die?
  • Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2016 09:31:59 -0500

Good morning,

After an inspection yesterday, one hive seems to be queenless while the other is queen right (I saw here over brood).  I accidentally ripped apart at least two queen cells that were attached between two mediums in my queenless hive.  Right near the destroyed queen cells were a couple of cells that had larva.  I did a search of the hive and I did not find any other capped brood or eggs while my other hive (queen right hive) has eggs, capped brood and larva.

At this point, I am not sure about my options.  Both hives have significant honey/sugar-water for winters stores and plenty of bees.  I have 4 8-frame mediums on both hives but I am thinking of taking away the lowest medium since the frames are all empty.

I plan to contact a couple queen suppliers tooday and see if I can introduce one to the queenless hive.  I also plan to go back and do an even more detailed search today to see if I can find the queen.

Suggestions?

Mark