ocba - Re: [ocba] Fw: whether/how to preserve frames after a hive has died - trying again

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: John Rintoul <beecd AT icloud.com>
  • To: rlfranke <rlfranke AT yahoo.com>
  • Cc: "ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org" <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] Fw: whether/how to preserve frames after a hive has died - trying again
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2016 15:18:08 -0400

Rachel,
I'm sorry that your first year of beekeeping has been disappointing. Yes, you should freeze the frames to kill the wax moth eggs, larva, and adults. Before freezing them pull off the sections of comb with the most damage. The bees next year will clean, repair and replace the damaged sections of the comb.

When you remove the frames from the freezer you can seal them in plastic garbage bags to prevent re-infestation. Then you can store them wherever is convenient. Some beekeepers add Paramoth crystals to the storage bag just to make sure.

John Rintoul
(919) 414-4071