ocba - [ocba] Fw: whether/how to preserve frames after a hive has died - trying again

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: rlfranke <rlfranke AT yahoo.com>
  • To: "ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org" <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ocba] Fw: whether/how to preserve frames after a hive has died - trying again
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2016 18:38:52 +0000 (UTC)

On Sunday, July 24, 2016 3:51 PM, rlfranke <rlfranke AT yahoo.com> wrote:

My 2 packages and 2 replacement queens never got established this spring, and though they struggled along for a while, both are dead now. Frames in one hive have much more wax moth damage than the other. If I freeze the frames for 24 hours and then store them outside until next spring, will a new package be able to use the drawn-but-damaged comb, or would it be better to freeze and reuse the frames with the least damage, or would it be best to replace all the frames? Any other recommendations or considerations as I pack it all up for the year? (I do not have a chest freezer or much protected storage available.)
Thanks in advance,
Rachel