ocba - Re: [ocba] Part 2

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Marty Hanks <marty AT justbeenc.com>
  • To: Lewis Cauble <lewis AT hivebody.com>, Orange County Beekeepers Association <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] Part 2
  • Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2016 17:15:10 -0400

Hello all,

Here is an update. First tks for all the info & ideas. I added an in hive frame feeder & food then locked them down like fort knox. All seems calm & going well. They did go straight for the food. So yay!

I removed hive body off screen and no wax cappings at all, but larvae. Learning more about summer starvation & how quick it can go down hill. This hive (nuc) was booming. Just before leaving i did have another hive get robbed beside this site. Just wondering if the offenders returned...or since there are 4 frames of brood they just tried to build up to fast?? Maybe a little of both given no nectar right now.

End result is the same, very little carbs were present in a big ball of bees & brood. Still learning. Just now im wondering if what looked like the end of a swarm that day was robbing? No idea now as there are no wax cappings.

Ill open in 2 days & reevaluate & look to see if the queen made it. If not ill combine & chalk it up as yet another reminder how lil we  know.

As for 2 inspectors replying on a sunday that speaks to the great nc bee community we have. I would never call a state employee on a sunday like suggested, but i look to all available tools for help. Glad they were bored today.

Mh

Sent from my iPhone