ocba - Re: [ocba] Feeding solution for new hives

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Rob Cook <crookkohler AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: John Rintoul <beecd AT icloud.com>
  • Cc: Walter Starks <walterstarks AT icloud.com>, Orange County Beekeepers Association <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] Feeding solution for new hives
  • Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2016 21:56:12 +0000 (UTC)

Got it. Thanks. I am going with white cane sugar.

Rob

On Thursday, April 28, 2016 5:49 PM, John Rintoul <beecd AT icloud.com> wrote:

Rob,
Do not use raw sugar, brown sugar, or turbinado sugar to feed bees. Google it.

"Less refined cane sugar (including brown sugar, turbinado sugar, and raw sugar), molasses, pasteurized honey (any commercial source), high fructose corn syrup, and corn sugar all contain compounds that honeybees cannot digest.  The resulting diarrhea can appear similar to the effects of infection with the bacterial disease Nosema."

John Rintoul
(919) 414-4071