ocba - Re: [ocba] Feeders

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Randall Austin <ra41717 AT gmail.com>
  • To: Walter Starks <walterstarks AT icloud.com>, Phil DeGuzman <phil.deguzman AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: "ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org" <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] Feeders
  • Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2016 11:39:20 -0400

The article <here> explains the critical importance of feeding new packages and nucs, not only to prevent starvation but also to provide carbs for wax production and to stimulate broodrearing.

The second part of the article <here> discusses different types of feeders. My overall favorite is a top feeder made from an inverted half-gallon or gallon pickle-type glass jar placed over the top bars. You can use as many jars, of whatever size, as you like. They don't freeze in winter and they don't tend to leak. By being inside the hive, they deter robbing.

Randall