ocba - Re: [ocba] Feeders

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Walter Starks <walterstarks AT icloud.com>
  • To: Phil DeGuzman <phil.deguzman AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: "ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org" <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] Feeders
  • Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2016 07:41:42 -0400

The hive top feeders will hold a large amount of syrup (1-2 gallons), but tend to drown some bees.

Division board feeders also have a reputation for drowning bees. I’ve never used them so I can’t say first hand.

Entrance feeders tend to be much smaller and often promote robbing since it’s easy for bees from other hives to get to them.

I think most of the inverted feed pails hold about a gallon. They tend to leak with large changes in temperature though. They lose there suction when the sun starts warming the hive. Can make a big mess and promote robbing with all the syrup running out the bottom of the hive.

My current favorite is the Ultimate In Hive Feeder. It holds a gallon and so far I haven’t had any problems with leakage.

note: I just used the links for illustration. All these items are probably available from almost any supply store.

Walter Starks

You never can tell with bees. ~ Winnie-the-Pooh