ocba - [ocba] Dead hive.

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Caleb Haynes <calebthaynes AT gmail.com>
  • To: Orange County Beekeepers Association <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ocba] Dead hive.
  • Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2015 15:19:46 -0400

Anyone interested in doing a postmortem on a hive? I just inspected what was my strongest hive a month ago and discovered that all the bees are either dead or gone. Only a coupleĀ  thousand are left. They have a super of mostly capped honey but a large number of decaying brood, mostly uncapped. No moth activity at all and no sign of any laying worker activity. I'm suspecting foulbrood but have never encountered it before. I'd really like to hear from someone who would recognize it. Will post pics in a little while.
-Caleb