ocba - [ocba] help with feeding

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Joan Kalnitsky <jkalnits AT embarqmail.com>
  • To: "Orange Co Beekeepers " <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ocba] help with feeding
  • Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2015 14:27:32 -0400 (EDT)

We are first year bee keepers with 2 hives.  One is doing great and has from the beginning.  The other went queenless for a wile back in August.  Just as we were giving up hope we saw we had a new queen and things looked good.  Two weeks later we peeked in and things were progressing well.  We have not been able to get into our hives for some time due to travel, family and weather and peeked in today.  The hive that has had the issues once again is looking very week.  There are lots of stores, very little brood, but we did see the queen.
  We are wondering if we should feed and if so should we feed syrup water or protein?
  If we start feeding now will we have to do so through the winter.  At last weeks meeting we heard all about the candy board, is this an opportunity to use it?
  Thanks in advance for your help.
  Joan and Korinn