ocba - Re: [ocba] help with feeding

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Randall Austin <ra41717 AT gmail.com>
  • To: Joan Kalnitsky <jkalnits AT embarqmail.com>, Orange Co Beekeepers <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] help with feeding
  • Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2015 15:00:23 -0400

Joan,

The article <here> answers a lot of questions about feeding.

In my opinion, it is too late in the year to try to significantly boost a colony's population by feeding protein (pollen or pollen substitute). All that extra brood will freeze to death because there aren't enough nurse bees to cover them.

It is not a bad thing to not have much brood right now, as long as you have a sufficient number of bees to form an adequate winter cluster. A well-behaved queen will be slowing down egg-laying significantly as we approach winter.

How many bees are in the weak hive -- how many frames are covered with bees? You may have plenty enough. You shouldn't have nearly as many as a strong spring hive. But if you think the colony is a lost cause, combining this hive with the other one is a good plan, as described in the article <here>. Or if the other hive is really strong and the weak one isn't too weak, you could swap a frame of capped brood and/or shake a few frames of bees from the strong one to the weak one. There's no point in throwing good resources after bad, but if just a bit of a boost would make all the difference between success and failure then this would be a good approach.

Randall