ocba - [ocba] New packages in last year's frames

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: John Cotterman <johncotterman AT yahoo.com>
  • To: "ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org" <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ocba] New packages in last year's frames
  • Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2015 17:41:31 +0000 (UTC)

I had two hives that didn't make it through the winter. I'm taking delivery this week of two packages to replace them. Before expiring in the winter, the girls left me with several frames of capped honey not to mention a lot of drawn out comb, some with stored sugar water (pre-honey). How should I set up the hives for the arrival of the new girls? I'm thinking using drawn comb frames on the bottom and then putting frames with honey on a top box (I use all mediums). If I place frames with say 25% honey and 75% empty cells will that prevent the queen from laying enough eggs? Or should I use totally new foundations on the bottom? If I place last year's honey on top I presume I will not have to feed much.

John Cotterman