ocba - Re: [ocba] New packages in last year's frames

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Walter Starks <walterstarks AT icloud.com>
  • To: John Cotterman <johncotterman AT yahoo.com>
  • Cc: "ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org" <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] New packages in last year's frames
  • Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2015 14:04:57 -0400

I'd put one frame of honey on each side (upper and lower) and then empty drawn comb in the center for the bottom medium. Same arrangement for frames in the center medium. For the top, go ahead and put in whatever you have left. Fill any empty spaces with foundation. This is usually how the bees will arrange it anyway.

I wouldn't put all sections on the hive at first though. Let the bees build up one section at a time. Too much empty space will result in problems with Wax Moths and SHB.
______

Walter

Sent from my iPhone