ocba - Re: [ocba] 1 question and a Tip for Newbees

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Chris Cramer <chris.cramer AT gmail.com>
  • To: Daniel Bell <affineur AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: Orange County Beekeepers Association <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] 1 question and a Tip for Newbees
  • Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2015 08:06:11 -0400

Dan - I think that this is largely a judgement call. Last year, we installed
a package and left the entrance reducer on for the whole year. The tradeoff
is that w/ the reducer, it's easier for the colony to protect the hive, but
there's a little more traffic jam at the entrance. This year, I still have
the reducer on, but will switch it over to a wider setting (or will remove it
completely) come the nectar flow. IMO, there's no real harm in leaving the
reducer on for a package until it has built up its numbers enough to be
causing a problem. But your milage may vary :-)

-chris