ocba - Re: [ocba] First Fall - Big problem?

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Lewis Cauble <lewis AT hivebody.com>
  • To: ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] First Fall - Big problem?
  • Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2014 10:24:12 -0400 (EDT)

Moving the brood at this time of the year I believe is a bit too late.  There will not be time for them to raise a mated queen.  I believe combining the hives is in order.

I would add that it is also too late to deal with mites.  We need to handle the mites in late summer (think mid-August to mid-September) so that the colony has an opportunity to raise a flush or two of healthy winter bees.

Keep us up to date!

Lewis