ocba - [ocba] Moving hives

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Janet Weinberg <janetweinberg AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Orange County Beekeepers Association <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ocba] Moving hives
  • Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2014 09:59:41 -0700

I am not the brightest member but I have moved three hives at different times.  You don't need to move them in stages.  I cannot lift two hive boxes so I wait until they are in just before dark and close up all entrances.  Place cardboard on ground, take top box with lid and place it on the cardboard while my sister is putting cardboard on top of the second box.  I do all like that to keep the bees in then move the boxes one by one to the new location and reassemble.  I keep it closed until later in the next afternoon and never have had any loss of bees.  Some go back and buzz around the old location looking for it but eventually return to their hive in the new location.  --Yesterday morning I got a small swarm, put them in a closed nuc box, set it within two feet of a hive, went out and opened them up at 5 and put on a feeder.  They swarmed around the nuc and acted like  mad men for a couple of hours but stayed on or around it seemingly ignoring the next door hive and those bees just went in and out as usual.  It works.  Good luck.
Janet

  • [ocba] Moving hives, Janet Weinberg, 10/24/2014