ocba - Re: [ocba] Moving a Hive

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Lewis Cauble <lewis AT hivebody.com>
  • To: ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] Moving a Hive
  • Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2014 10:17:19 -0400 (EDT)

The hive entrance can vary up and down a bit (perhaps as much as 2 feet?) during the move and is not a big deal.  I would recommend 2 options:

1.  Move the hive a mile away (or more) for a couple of weeks, then bring it back to the new location in your yard.
2.  Leap frog it 8 or 10 feet a week to the new location.

Lewis